TATTERSHALL AND TATTERSHALL THORPE VILLAGE SITE

Castle College Church .Station Lock
Tom Thumb Bede Houses Visitor Centre Pumping Engine Market Place
Butter Cross   Carr Woods The Village  

 

Attractions in Tattershall and Tattershall Thorpe

 

Tattershall Castle

Tattershall castle

Enlarge

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The unique tower was completed in about 1440 as an extension to an existing castle and is one of the most important examples of medieval brick architecture. From the battlements there are magnificent views over the surrounding countryside, with Lincoln Cathedral and the Boston ‘Stump’ visible on clear days.

It is not possible to say how many millions of bricks were used in the construction, as the surviving accounts are incomplete, but they do show that in 1434-5, half a million were made at the Edlington Moor brickworks, at a cost of £115, including carriage!

Last used as a residence about 1700 it began to decay until 1911 when the huge Ancaster stone fireplaces were removed for sale to American speculators. The building was bought by Lord Curzon of Keddleston, who rescued the fireplaces from London and carried out extensive restoration of the buildings and grounds at his own expense, opening them to the public on 8th August, 1914.

Courtesy of Colin Watson

Article about the sale of the castle

 

Tattershall Market Place

Millenium Sundial, Tattershall Market Place

Enlarge

Tattershall's Millenium Monument

 
An 8ft high three dimensional figure 2 mounted upon a three ton block of Derbyshire carboniferous limestone. The reverse side of the sculpture forms a sundial with the shadow of the bar moving along the upward ribbon

On entering the Market Place, the visitor would notice the Public House, The Fortescue Arms, standing out in its imposing position with white walls – an old coaching inn, once called The Angel. The Buttercross, the village sign & War Memorial are all prominent on the green. Recently a Millennium monument and flagpole on the central green have joined them. Visitors who had previously been to the church would probably be looking for Tom Thumb’s house, which is to be seen on the ridge of Lodge House. The Market Place has several buildings of note around it, and is the hub of the village. Down the start of a private drive is the old College Building, now a ruin.

Courtesy of the Twinning Assoc

 

Holy Trinity Church

Tattershall Church  
 
 
 
 
 

Holy Trinity Church, or to give it its correct title, ‘The Collegiate Church of the Holy Trinity, The Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Peter the Apostle, St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist’ stands on the site of an earlier Norman church. It is considered by many experts to be one of the finest examples of English Perpendicular architecture and is also on of the largest Collegiate churches in the country. The East window contains some of the best examples of Medieval painted glass, and a small ‘tomb’ stone can be found in the floor close to the font bearing the inscription ‘T Thumb died 1620 aged 101’. Visitors are often surprised by the size and height of the church as it is a mini cathedral both in size and layout. If you are visiting the castle why not call into Holy Trinity Church on your way from the castle car park? For those wishing to know the times of services, notices can be found in the porch.

The church is usually open every day of the week and during the summer months a heritage centre is open where visitors can purchase light refreshments and souvenirs.

http://cops1461.fotopic.net/c98854.html

Courtesy of Doug Eke

 

Tattershall Thorpe Visitor Centre
Preserving Lincolnshires recent history

Thorpe Camp Visitor Centre, Tattershall Thorpe

Thorpe Camp Preservation Group

Tattershall Thorpe

Lincoln

LN4 4PQ

 

Registered Address:

Lancaster Farm

Tumby Woodside
Boston
Lincs.
PE22 7SP

Tele: 01526 342249
Email:
mjhodgson@lancfile.demon.co.uk
Web:
www.thorpecamp.org.uk

A museum preserving Lincolnshires recent history.

 The Centre was formerly part of No 1 Communal Site RAF Woodhall.  This site became available when the Woodland Trust purchased the adjacent Carr Wood.

 After the end of the war the RAF vacated the site and it became a target for squatters.  It was then taken over by Horncastle Rural District Council and was converted into temporary housing until the early 60’s.

 Gradually becoming derelict and overgrown the Woodland Trust allowed the visitors centre to take over what had once been the Officers Mess, Sgts mess and Airmens Dining Hall.  There is also an old NAAFI building which houses part of the Arrester Gear from RAF Woodhall Spa.

 RAF Woodhall Spa became operational in 1942 when the first of the Squadrons, 97, took up residence on the Tattershall Thorpe Site.  97, 619 and 617 Squadrons flew Lancasters operationally from W. Spa.  627 squadron flying Mosquitos joined 617 sqn at W. Spa in 1944.  A memorial has been built in memory of those lost.

 The Museum aims to preserve history from these squadrons and is the proud possessor of a piece of the Tirpits which was successfully sunk by 617 squadron in 1944.

 Civilian life in Lincolnshire during the Second World War is portrayed by exhibitis such as, Observer Corps Post, An Anderson Shelter, Bomb Damaged Room and a Wartime Kitchen, (a display put together by the local Womens Institute for the 50th anniversary VE Day).  An ARP Wardens Post, Auxillary Patrol Hideout, and a Prisoner of War Display.

 Arnhem in Lincolnshire is a collection of memorabilia until recently housed in Fulbeck Hall and transferred on its closure.

 The 141 (Boston) Squadron ATC.  Has created its own small museum on site showing past and present activities.

 The visitors centre is open to the Public every Sunday and Bank holidays from May to September.  It is also open on Wednesdays in July and August from 2.00 – 5.00pm.

 Private visits and guided tours can be arranged.  Membership is also available.  Any Queries please ring 01526 342249 email  mjhodgson@lancfile.demon.co.uk.

www.thorpecamp.org.uk.

 

 

Dogdyke Steam Pumping Station 

Dogdyke Pumping Station  
 
 
 
 
 

Fen drainage began at Dogdyke in 1796, probably with a simple scoop-wheel driven by a windmill. In 1856 it was replaced by the beam engine which can be seen today. This engine operated until 1940, when it was superseded by the Ruston and Hornsby diesel engine which is housed in the adjacent building.

The Dogdyke Pumping Station Preservation Trust was formed in 1973, and set about restoring the disused beam engine, realising the goal of steaming again in 1977.

The Pumping Station is reached via a private farm road, one mile west of Tattershall Castle. It is open to the public on Easter Saturday and the first Sunday of each month between May and October, in steam.

 

information taken from the leaflet supplied by John Porter

 

Tom Thumbs House

Tom Thumbs House, Tattershall Market Place  
 
 
 
 
 

 The tiny house was thought to keep evil spirits out of the main building. Tom Thumbs house changed from one side of the Market Place when Mr Wright sold his shop.

 

Bede Houses

Tattershall Bede Houses  
 
 
 
 

There were 10 Bede houses, which are now 5. The lavatories were in the middle of the gardens and they were not allowed to let anyone else use them. The old set of rules for the residents make interesting reading.

Tattershall Bede Houses, 15th Century,  listed Grade 11 and nestling under the protection of the 15th Century Church and Tattershall Castle.

Together the three buildings form an interesting group which is accepted as part of the preservation and environment of the ancient parish of Tattershall.

In existence before the Castle and Church there were originally  13 chambers for use by the poor of the village and mentioned in the will of Maud (Bernak) Lady of Tateshale who married Ralph the 1st Baron Cromwell.

In 1911 a scheme for  regulating the almshouses as a Charity was sealed by the Charity Commission with a body of Trustees and the Vicar of the Parish to manage it.

In 1967 the dwellings  had fallen into disrepair but  thanks to the foresight of a few enthusiasts a scheme was put into place to convert them into 5 houses  with a living room, bedroom and bathroom, complete with modern conveniences.

During 1996 the Bede houses were completely renovated to the present dwellings they are now, homes to five residents of the village.

 

 

Tattershall College

Tattershall College  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Railway Station

Tattershall Railway Station
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tattershall Lock

Tattershall Lock, The Stanch, Horncastle Canal, Tattershall Cut  
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tattershall lock was always known as the Stanch. The pool was used as a swimming area. Huts were built on the bank for a changing area. Swimming gala was held just before the 2nd World War.

 

Butter Cross

Tattershall War Memorial  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Buttercross is thought to have been built in the 15th century, and was the focus of the markets held in the village. A charter to hold a weekly market was granted by King John in 1201, for the annual fee of a trained goshawk

Buttercross damaged in 1861 storm

 1861 A fierce storm passed over mid-Lincolnshire on July 9 causing much damage and at least one death.

Lightning struck the ancient cross in the Market Place at Tattershall dislodging some of the stones.

 Article courtesy Lincolnshire Gazette

 

   
 

Carr Woods

Web Site

 

Enlarge Picture

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

TATTERSHALL CARR WOOD

 Tattershall Carr Woods are a site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) notified under section 28 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 designated by the Nature Conservancy Council.

 Tatterhsall Carr Woods were at one time coppiced on a regular basis; the alder, willow and other timber produced were used locally.

 These two sites are the most extensive examples in the county of ancient ‘carr’ woodlands.  Situated on fen edge sands and gravels dominated by alder Alnus glutiosa.

 Of the many other tree species present, birches Betula pendula and Betula pubescens are abundant with rowan Sorbus aucuparia, ash Fraxinus excelsior, holly Ilex aquifolium and hazel Corylus avellana locally common.  Grey willow Salix cinerea is found in quantity in the wettest areas associated with a shrub layer which include the typical alder carr species of raspberry Rubus idaeus and red currant Ribes rubrum.

 The woodland floor is locally dominated by rambles Rubus fructicosus or the many ferns present: bracken Pteridium aquiliunum, lady fern Athyrium filix-femina and broadbuckler and male ferns Dryopteris dilatata and Dfilix-mas.  Beneath the bracken are greater stitchwort Stellaria holostea and climbing corydalis Corydalis claviculata.  The stream, ditches and flushes are bordered by rare patches of opposite-leaved golden saxifrage Chrysosplenium oppositifolium amongst which is the rare alternate-pimpernel Lysimachia nemorum  primrose Primula vulgaris, wood sorrel Oxalis acetosella, remote sedge Carex remota, moschatel Adoxa moschatellina and wood anemone Anemone nemorosa.

 The freely draining margin of the woods support a dry, acid pedunculate oak Quercus robur woodland type with foxglove Digitalis purpurea in the field layer.

 Notable breeding birds include Green and greater Spotted Woodpecker and Woodcock.

 
   

Horncastle Canal

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

http://www.canals.btinternet.co.uk/canals/horncastle.htm#top

   

 

 

Home

Council

Village Plan

Attractions

Community

History

People

Directory

Police

Photographs
Maps
Wildlife

Copyright: Designed by PETRA Web Masters.inc.